Sartorio, D.J. Of Counsel
Chicago233 S. Wacker Drive22nd FloorChicago, IL 60606
- T: 312.627.4093
- F: 312.627.1717
- V Card
- Practice Areas
Education J.D., University of Illinois College of Law , cum laudeB.S., University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign , summa cum laude
- Bar AdmissionsIllinois , 1981
- Court AdmissionsU.S. Court of Appeals 10th Circuit, U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit, U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit, U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit, U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit, U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit
Sartorio, D.J. Of Counsel
Practice FocusD.J. Sartorio has more than 30 years experience as an insurance and appellate lawyer.
He has extensive experience representing insurance companies in litigation, coverage analysis and underwriting consulting. He has successfully handled appeals throughout the United States, including one that changed Illinois law with respect to expert disclosures.
Active in firm management, D.J. served on Tressler’s Executive Committee, which is the governing body of the firm, from 2001 to 2014.
Professional BackgroundD.J. joined Tressler as a partner in 1995.
D.J. has received an AV® rating from Martindale-Hubbell which is “a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence.” He received the Chicago Bar Association Certificate of Appreciation in 1986, 1987 and 1988, and the Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education Certificate of Appreciation in 11 years between 1987 and 2012. Additionally, D.J. has been selected for inclusion in Illinois Super Lawyers® for the past 13 years.
Memberships & Affiliations
- American Bar Association, Member
- Illinois State Bar Association, Member
- Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel, Member
- Federal Trial Bar, Member
- Professional Liability Underwriting Society, Member
- Appellate Lawyers Association of Illinois, Member
- Defense Research Institute, Member
- Successfully defended a major general liability insurer against a challenge to use of staff counsel
- Represented three major specialty lines insurers in contingent commission coverage litigation
- Successfully defended a TRO in a challenge to an insurer's right to control defense of an intellectual property lawsuit
- Represented a major insurer in class action coverage litigation involving gluten
- Successfully tried a case upholding a fronting arrangement
- Advised several insurers with respect to product development, policy drafting and underwriting considerations.
- Obtained the reversal of a multimillion-dollar jury verdict and changed Illinois law with respect to expert disclosures
- Sustained the dismissal of a class action under jurisdictional provisions of the Class Action Fairness Act
- Obtained a reversal of a $100 million judgment in an "advertising injury" coverage case
- Obtained a reversal of a judgment notwithstanding the verdict in a Jones Act case
- Bar Admissions