Morrison, Linda Bondi Partner
Orange County, CA2 Park PlazaSuite 1050Irvine, CA 92614
- T: 949.336.1234
- F: 949.752.0645
- V Card
- Practice Areas
Education J.D., Loyola University Chicago School of LawB.A., Loyola University Chicago , magna cum laude
- Bar AdmissionsCalifornia , 2000Illinois , 1994
- Court AdmissionsU.S. Court of Appeals 10th Circuit, U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit, U.S. District Court (C.D. of CA), U.S. District Court (E.D. of CA), U.S. District Court (N.D. of CA), U.S. District Court (N.D. of IL), U.S. District Court (S.D. of CA)
Morrison, Linda Bondi Partner
Practice FocusLinda Bondi Morrison is a partner in Tressler’s Orange County office, where she represents insurance companies in complex litigation and coverage matters involving general and professional liability, excess exposures and extracontractual liability, including environmental and toxic torts, construction defects and advertising/personal injury.
She has extensive experience in matters involving complex insurance programs and the allocation and coverage challenges they present. Linda has represented clients as trial counsel in a number of significant, complex matters in California and across the country.
In addition to providing litigation counsel, Linda is regularly called on by insurance companies to assist with policy drafting and settlement or resolution of non-litigated matters involving complex questions of insurance coverage and liability. She has successfully handled mediations and arbitrations with multimillion-dollar exposures, procuring favorable settlements for her clients.
Professional BackgroundLinda joined the Chicago office of Tressler as an associate in 1995 and was promoted to partner in 2002. In 2001, she launched Tressler’s Insurance practice in Orange County after moving from the Chicago office.
While in law school, Linda received a Leadership and Service Award for her commitment as President of the Environmental Law Society and Recent Cases Editor for the Consumer Law Reporter.
Linda's track record reflects successful resolution of matters through negotiation, dispositive motion practice and trial. Linda is known for her common-sense, big picture view when working with her clients to define and achieve a successful result. Click below to view her recent representative successes and engagements.
Linda is a frequent contributor to the firm’s monthly publication Commercial General Liability Dispatch. She also was a Regional Editor for the DRI Excess and Umbrella Compendium published in 2012.
Memberships & Affiliations
- ADR Committee of the American College of Coverage and Extracontractual Counsel (ACCEC), Co-Chair
- American College of Coverage and Extracontractual Counsel, Fellow
- Claims & Litigation Management Alliance, Member
- DRI, Member, Insurance Coverage Section
- Insurance Industry Charitable Foundation, Western Division Grants Committee
- Insuring the Children, Board of Directors
- The National Forum for Environmental and Toxic Tort Issues, Board Member and Conference Committee
- Chicago Bar Association, former Co-Chair - Young Lawyers Section, Insurance Coverage Committee, 1997-1999
- Duty to Provide Independent Counsel
- “Summary of Coverage Rules and Their Practical Application for Claims Under California Law"
- “California Supreme Court Allows Stacking of Limits and Affirms ‘All Sums’ Allocation”
- “California Supreme Court Focuses on Reasonable Expectations for Insurer”
- “California Supreme Court Limits Application of Pollution Exclusion”
- “California Court of Appeal Allows Stacking of Limits; Declines to Annualize Limits in Multi-Year Policies and Require Mitigation of Damages”
- “Indemnity Provisions and Contractual Liability Coverage: The Back Door to Coverage”
- Ninth Circuit Affirms That Prior Publication Exclusion Barred a Defense Obligation to Skateboard Manufacturer
- Commercial General Liability Dispatch (Volume 5, Issue 6, June 2014)
Representative ExperienceLinda’s track record reflects successful resolution of matters through negotiation, dispositive motion practice and trial. Linda is known for her common-sense, big picture view when working with her clients to define and achieve a successful result. Recent representative successes and engagements include:
• Prevailed on summary adjudication on behalf of an excess insurer in a subrogation action and was awarded more than $1 million by the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California on grounds that a “professional services” exclusion in an additional insured’s primary policy did not apply to bar coverage.
• U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit affirmed that our client had no duty to defend a skateboard manufacturer for infringement claims on grounds that “prior publication” exclusion applied.
• Secured dismissal with prejudice in U.S. District Court of New Mexico, after moving to
dismiss complaint seeking over $1 million for environmental cleanup of ski resort. Court
found that “owned property” exclusion barred coverage.
• Recovered $1.75 million from primary insurer on behalf of excess insurer after summary judgment win in U.S. District Court for the Central District of California, in a matter involving coverage under primary, farm and ranch, and excess policies for severe injuries suffered when claimant fell off a roof.
• Recovered $350,000 from excess umbrella insurer on behalf of primary insurer in
subrogation action seeking participation in defense incurred on behalf of common insured in construction defect action.
• Rescission of policy affirmed by U.S. District Court for the Central District of California, based on material misrepresentations made by insured during underwriting process.
• Served as national coordinating coverage counsel for hundreds of claims resulting from application of DuPont weedkiller that allegedly also killed trees.
• Served as monitoring coverage counsel for hundreds of claims involving potential
advertising and personal injury coverage resulting from insured’s alleged activities
involving the lease of land and cell tower space across the country, with multiple years of potentially exposed primary and excess coverage.
• Settled product liability claim involving mechanically stabilized earth walls for six figures in response to demand for $5 million excess limits on grounds that other policies, including design and additional insured coverage, must respond before excess could be triggered.
• Settled product liability claim involving contaminated recycling pellets for fraction
of amount incurred by insured based on position that insured breached “voluntary
payments” condition in policy.
In addition to the regular client training Linda provides, below are some of her more recent national or regional presentations:
- “50 Shades of Gray: The Ins And Outs of Sirs and Deductibles, and Who Pays to Play,” 2017 CLM Annual Conference, Nashville, March 2017
- “Navigating Other Insurance Disputes,” 2016 PLRB National Claims Conference, San Antonio, Texas, April 17-20, 2016
- Co-Chair, Emerging and Complex Insurance Claims Forum, HB Litigation Conferences, Presenter, “Tempted by the Fruit of Another: Additional Insureds, Indemnity Agreements and Risk Transfer,” Los Angeles, February 24-26, 2016
- “Who Pays When Products Fail? Determining Damage and Coverage for Claims Involving Defective Products,” ABA Section of Litigation, Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee CLE Seminar, Tucson, Arizona, March 6, 2015
- “Recent Developments and Issues in Insurance Coverage for Asbestos Claims,” Cutting-Edge Issues in Asbestos Litigation Conference, Beverly Hills, California, March 17, 2014
- Co-Chair, Insurance Allocation Strategies 2013 Conference, HB Litigation Conferences, Presenter, “Defense Allocation Issues When Independent Counsel is Triggered,” Insurance Allocation Strategies 2013 Conference, Los Angeles, October 29, 2013
- “The ‘Morton’s Fork’ Dilemma: SIRs, Deductibles and Financially Impaired Insureds,” Tressler’s New World Insurance Issues Seminar, Los Angeles, October 10, 2013
- “Recognizing the Red Flags in a Bad Faith Set-Up,” American Conference Institute’s 23rd National Advanced Forum on Bad Faith Litigation, Orlando, November 2012
- “Recognizing the Red Flags in a Bad Faith Set-Up,” National Forum for Environmental and Toxic Tort Issues’ 19th Annual Conference,Chicago, September 2012
- “Insurance Allocation Panel Discussion: The View from the Bench and Beyond,” National Forum for Environmental and Toxic Tort Issues’ 18th Annual Conference, Chicago, September 2010
- “The Impact of the State of California v. Allstate,” February 2010
- “How to Successfully Mediate Bad Faith Cases,” American Conference Institute’s Bad Faith Litigation Conference, April 2009
- “Additional Insured Issues,” PLRB Western Regional Adjusters Conference, October 2007
- “Number of “Occurrences for Asbestos-Related Claims,” The National Forum for Environmental and Toxic Tort Issues, 14th Annual Conference, Chicago, October 2007
- “From Mines to Minefields: Asbestos News From the Front,” ABA Insurance Coverage Litigation Seminar, March 2007
- “Mediation Strategies for Liability Claims,” PLRB Western Regional Adjusters Conference, November 2006
- Insuring the Children, Member of the Board of Directors - Insuring the Children is a not-for-profit organization of insurance industry professionals dedicated to raising awareness of child abuse and funding prevention programs
Insurance Industry Charitable Foundation, Western Division Grants Committee
- Woodbridge Community Church, Children’s Ministries
- UC Irvine School of Law Mentorship Program, Mentor
- Bar Admissions