Crowder, Robert S. Partner
Los Angeles1901 Avenue of the StarsSuite 450Los Angeles, CA 90067
- T: 310.203.4862
- F: 310.203.4850
- V Card
- Practice Areas
Education J.D., Tulane University Law SchoolM.S., Maine Maritime AcademyB.S., State University of New York Maritime College
- Bar AdmissionsCalifornia , 1998
- Court AdmissionsU.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit, U.S. District Court (C.D. of CA), U.S. District Court (E.D. of CA), U.S. District Court (N.D. of IL), U.S. District Court (S.D. of CA)
Crowder, Robert S. Partner
Practice FocusRobert Crowder is a partner in the Litigation practice. He represents clients in a variety of commercial and business litigation involving maritime, admiralty, transportation, environmental, energy and insurance matters. He has extensive experience in all aspects of litigation, through and including trial and appeals, and with alternative dispute resolution in its various forms. He strives to creatively resolve matters at inception when possible and to explore opportunities to expeditiously resolve issues.
Robert has worked on cases dealing with contractor injuries arising in refinery, oil production unit and other heavy industrial settings. He also has experience with toxic-tort and toxic-brain injury claims, California Proposition 65 litigation, environmental compliance counseling, cargo damage claims, products liability claims, and breach of contract claims involving oil terminals and contracts of carriage.
Professional BackgroundRobert has significant professional and practical experience in the marine and energy fields. He sailed as a deck officer for six years in the merchant marine on oceangoing tankers and subsequently worked “shore-side” in the maritime industry. He maintains a professional merchant mariner’s license issued by the United States Coast Guard as master of freight and towing vessels and chief mate of oceangoing vessels, unlimited tonnage.
Previously, Robert worked at Exxon’s refinery in Benicia, Calif., where he held a variety of positions, including roles in coordination and economics, engineering support and operations. He attended numerous training courses in various aspects of refinery operations, economics and management. During law school, Robert worked as a law clerk for Exxon and also as a consultant overseeing third-party vessel cargo-handling operations for SeaRiver Maritime, Inc.
Memberships & Affiliations
- The Propeller Club of Los Angeles and Long Beach, Board Member
- Environmental Forensics, Editoral Board
- The Maritime Law Association of the United States, Proctor Member
- American Chemical Society, Member
- Claims & Litigation Management Alliance, Member
- Lead trial counsel in successful defense of multi-million dollar Long Beach Harbor oil spill pollution case
- Defended construction defect litigation involving complex process systems
- Counseled clients in international breach of contract, construction defect and product liability cases
- Represented insurers and manufacturers in aircraft casualty cases
- Bar Admissions