Cohen, Royce F.
New YorkOne Penn PlazaSuite 4701New York, NY 10119
- T: 646.833.0875
- F: 646.833.0877
- V Card
- Practice Areas
Education J.D., Fordham University School of Law , cum laude , Fordham Moot Court, Member and Editor , The Archibald R. Murray Public Service Award Recipient , 2001B.S., University of Wisconsin-Madison , 1996
- Bar AdmissionsNew York , 2002
- Court AdmissionsU.S. District Court (E.D. of NY), U.S. District Court (S.D. of NY)
Cohen, Royce F.
Royce Cohen is a partner in the firm's New York office. Royce focuses her practice on insurance and reinsurance arbitration and litigation. She represents both cedents and reinsurers in a variety of matters, including comprehensive general liability, excess and umbrella liability, workers' compensation, asbestos, environmental and property/casualty insurance. These matters include misrepresentations in connection with the placement of reinsurance, disputes as to the coverage provided by treaties and policies, standards of accountability of cedents as fronting companies, standards of conduct applicable and ceding companies in their dealings with reinsurers and disputes involving program managers.
Royce also has extensive experience with eDiscovery issues. She regularly helps clients address the costs and risks associated with managing electronically stored information, particularly in connection to litigation and regulatory compliance. She assists clients with the development of records and information management plans, defensible litigation hold processes and auditing compliance policies and procedures. Working side-by-side with professional technical support staff to understand clients' technology systems, she helps clients develop and implement best practices to efficiently identify, collect and process electronically stored information. Royce actively monitors state and federal developments of the laws governing eDiscovery. She has managed all stages of electronic discovery both in-house and through the use of third part vendors, including negotiating terms of vendor agreements and implementing cost-control protocols.
Prior to joining Tressler, Royce was Special Counsel in Stroock’s New York office specializing in insurance and reinsurance arbitration and litigation. Royce founded and co-chaired Stroock’s eDiscovery and Information Governance Practice Group. She also managed a team of attorneys who provided pro bono representation to underprivileged women engaged in litigation in family court. In recognition of her work on one such representation, Royce received the 2012 Commitment to Justice Award from Her Justice (formerly inMotion).
Memberships & Affiliations
- New York State Bar Association, Member, Social Media Committee
- The Sedona Conference, Member, Electronic Document Retention and Production - Working Group 1
- AIDA Reinsurance and Insurance Arbitration Society (ARIAS-US), Member, Technology Committee
- Advancement of the Placement of Insurance Women (APIW), Member
- New York State Bar Association, Member, E-Discovery Committee
- Women in eDiscovery (WiE), Member
- Represented ceding companies in arbitrations in which reinsurers sought rescission based upon allegedly false or misleading information provided in connection with the placement of reinsurance treaties.
- Obtained an arbitration award in excess of $100 million (including interest and futures) on behalf of an insurance company against a reinsurance company.
- Negotiated and settled a variety of claims on behalf of an insurance company in excess of $20 million without the expense of extensive discovery or trial/arbitration.
- Obtained an arbitration award on behalf of a ceding company against London market reinsurers for billings arising out of extra contractual obligations.
Spearheaded a large electronic discovery project that resulted in an arbitration award in excess of $100 million (including interest and futures).
- Bar Admissions