Evan advises and represents companies and high net worth individuals in complex commercial disputes and litigation. He is a respected and sought after advisor on pre-litigation and risk management issues, including public relations issues, with a reputation for pragmatic and business sensitive solutions.
Evan has extensive experience handling all types of complex litigation. He is regularly engaged in litigation involving financial services, real estate, product defect, environmental, antitrust, copyright, trademark and other intellectual property related issues.
An accomplished trial lawyer, Evan has taken numerous cases through jury trials. He has successfully litigated in a variety of state and federal trial courts, and has won appeals at state appellate levels in the Ninth and Tenth Circuit Courts of Appeal as well as the California Supreme Court.
Evan has also represented insurers in high profile coverage disputes with an emphasis on potentially high exposure bad faith claims. In addition, he has experience in both probate and bankruptcy issues.
In addition to resolving disputes through litigation, Evan has also successfully arbitrated and mediated all manner of disputes and conflicts in both formal and informal proceedings. He is tirelessly dedicated to his clients and to ensuring that their needs are met and problems solved in the most efficient and expeditious manner possible.
Evan joined Tressler LLP in 2003. Previously he was with the law firms of Manatt Phelps & Phillips LLP and Dewey Ballantine LLP (which later became the now-defunct Dewey & LeBoeuf).
After earning his law degree from Columbia Law School, Evan clerked for Judge J. Thomas Greene, United States District Judge for the District of Utah.
He is proficient in Spanish having lived and studied in Spain for almost two years.
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
Evan is an active and well regarded lecturer, presenter and author with a focus on the discovery and evidentiary issues as well as first party insurance issues.
His presentations have included:
- “Commercial Insurable Interests,” at the PLRB/LIRB 2011 National Claims Conference in Nashville, April 5, 2011; San Antonio, March 2010; and Seattle, March 2009.
- “Corporate Structure, Investigation and Litigation of Entertainment Claims,” private training seminar, February 10, 2011.
- “The Missing Client: Avoiding Pitfalls and Mitigating Weaknesses Caused by an Insolvent, Bankrupt or Liquidated Insured,” private training seminar, September 22, 2010.
- “The Mysteries of California Fair Claims Practices,” Southern California Adjusters Association, Temecula, CA, June 2010.
- “Advanced Discovery and Evidence,” National Business Institute, Los Angeles, November 2007.
- “Faulty Workmanship Under Commercial Liability Policies,” PLRB Western Regional Adjusters Conference, Costa Mesa, CA. October 2007.
- “Bad Faith Insurance Claims in California,” National Business Institute, Irvine, CA, August 2007.
- “Insurer Heal Thyself – Avoiding Institutional Bad Faith Claims,” presented at the ABA Property Seminar in Carlsbad, CA, April 2006.
In addition he has prepared the following papers and presented them at Tressler LLP Insurance Law seminars:
- “It’s Not Just the Destination, It’s the Journey: New Twists and Turns in Navigating the Claim Handling Highway,” October 2009.
- “For Whom the Bell Tolls: Overview and Update of Bad Faith Litigation,” September 2008.
- “Emerging Trends and Considerations in Handling Property Claims,” September 2007.
- “A Primer and Update on California Extra-Contractual Claims Against Insurers: Developments in Bad Faith and Unfair Competition Law,” September 2006.
- “Getting Cinderella Ready for the Ball – Personalizing the Insurance Company Defendant, November 2004.
- “Treatment of Indemnity Agreements in the Additional Insured Context,” January 2004.