John M. O’Driscoll is based out of the firm’s Bolingbrook office. His practice includes representing companies and individuals in business disagreements and providing general counsel services to local governmental bodies such as municipalities, school districts and park districts. John handles a wide variety of disputes such as business litigation, breaches of contract, construction issues, employment disputes, property damage, internet defamation, ordinance violations, “sunshine laws” compliance, professional negligence matters and complex litigation.
Prior to joining Tressler in 1999, John was an attorney with Craig and Craig. John has been selected for inclusion in Illinois Super Lawyers® for 2012 and 2013 and in Illinois Super Lawyers Rising Stars® from 2008-2011. He has also been recognized as a "Leading Lawyer" by the Leading Lawyers® Network. In 2010, John received the Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel’s President’s Award for his exceptional service, dedication and significant contributions to the IDC and its President. In 2011, he was named a recipient of the IDC Meritorious Service Award for his outstanding service as co-chair of the IDC Commercial Litigation Committee.
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
John is a regular author and presenter on various local government law and corporate law topics. For instance, John has spoken on the topic of “Protecting Attorney-Client Privilege for In-House Counsel” before a Fortune 500 company’s corporate law department. He is also the author and editor of the firm’s Local Government Law monthly newsletter.
A sampling of his publications includes:
- Enforcement of Arbitration Provisions, “The Arbitration Process,”published as the Business Law Committee’s Special Feature Article in the Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel’s IDC Quarterly, Third Quarter 2012.
- “Balancing First Amendment Rights with the Interests of Public Employers: The Origins and Legacy of Garcetti v. Ceballos," published as the Monograph in the Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel’s IDC Quarterly, August 2012.
- Chapter 4, Municipal Litigation, “Illinois Municipal Law Series” published by the Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, 2012 Edition.
- “Guide To Illinois Sunshine Laws,” published by The Illinois Association of Park Districts, 2012.
- “Sudden burst of FOIA binding opinions from the Public Access Counselor,” Illinois State Bar Association’s Local Government Law newsletter, March 14, 2012 (Vol. 48, No. 6).
- Survey of Municipal Law Cases, published by the Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel, 2012.
- Chapter 9, Park Districts, “Illinois Special District Series” published by the Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, 2009 Edition, Updated 2011.
- “The Struggle Over Selective Waiver and the Production of Confidential Information to the Government” published as the monograph in the IDC Quarterly, May 2008.