Joe has been a member of the Professional Liability Underwriters Society (PLUS) since 1988, and has participated in each of their annual International Conferences and D&O Symposia. He co-chaired the inaugural and two subsequent D&O Symposia and was instrumental in devising that event’s format and content. Today, the D&O Symposium is the premier event in the world for those involved with D&O coverage and defense matters. In 2008, Joe was honored with an award from PLUS for his dedicated service, and initiation and chairing of the very first D&O Symposium. Additionally, PLUS has recognized Joe with its prestigious PLUS1 Award, which is presented once annually to a "person whose efforts have contributed substantially to the advancement and image of the professional liability industry."
From 1997 to 2003, he served on the PLUS board of trustees. He chaired the PLUS Education Committee from 1999 through 2001. Also, he was co-chair of the Curriculum Committee from 2004 through 2006.
Joe is also a member of Mealey Publication’s Insurance Advisory Council. He has been a member of the American Bar Association since 1980 and is currently a Vice Chair of the Professional, Officers and Directors Liability Committee of the ABA’s Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section.
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
Joe is a frequent author and speaker on topics within his practice areas, having written more than 80 papers, books, book chapters and texts. He has made more than 200 presentations throughout the United States, Canada, Mexico, the United Kingdom, Ireland, The Netherlands and Singapore.
He regularly speaks at PLUS events, including the Symposium and the International Conferences, as well as local chapter events. He is also a frequent contributor of articles to the PLUS Journal.
Joe is author of the D&O and E&O Monitor blog (www.dandoeandomonitor.com
). He serves on the Insurance Advisory Council of HB Litigation Conferences, and has been selected as the chapter upkeep and contributing author on D&O and Related Forms of Liability Insurance in Matthew Bender & Company’s "Securities Law Techniques" treatise. He is also a member of the Practicing Law Institute Faculty.
He is author of "Directors and Officers Liability: Exposures, Risk Management and Coverage, Second Edition," recently published by The National Underwriter Company, 2012. He also writes a quarterly column in the ADVISEN Management Liability Journal.
A sampling of Joe’s presentations includes:
- “E&O and Fiduciary Liability Coverage: What Financial Institutions, Carriers, Brokers and Counsel Now Need to Know in Today’s Competitive Market,” at ACI’s 2nd National Advanced Forum on Financial Institutions Insurance held in New York, November 21-22, 2013.
- "The Evolution of D&O Insurance in China and Asia" at the PLUS International Conference in Chicago, November 8, 2012.
- "Critical Issues in D&O and Professional Liability Insurance," at PLUS’s inaugural educational event in Hong Kong, April 24, 2012, and in Singapore, April 25, 2012.
- "Key & Emerging Specialty Coverages for the Middle Market Company: D&O, Employment Practices and Fiduciary Liability," at the Crittenden Middle Market Accounts Conference in Chicago, September 2011.
- "How to Manage Insurance Coverage in the Subprime Crisis," a webinar hosted by DRI’s Insurance Law Committee, January 2009.
- "The Top 10 D&O Claim Battlegrounds," a webinar hosted by National Underwriter, November 2008.
Tressler LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership formed in the State of Illinois.