Kathleen Elliott focuses her practice on local government law, zoning, development, land use law, election law, real estate and litigation. She is experienced in advising local governments with regard to the conduct of public meetings, including compliance with the Open Meetings Act, ethics and conflict of interest. She also advises these entities on employment issues, such as discipline, leave, state and federal employment compliance statutes, labor contracts and grievances. She has been recognized as a “Leading Lawyer” by Law Bulletin Publishing Company.
Kathie regularly represents local governments in connection with drafting, interpreting and enforcing a variety of ordinances, intergovernmental agreements, development and redevelopment agreements, annexation agreements and public works contracts. She also assists clients with land acquisition, negotiations, purchase contracts and eminent domain; and advises clients on public financing matters. She also represents local election boards and candidates with regard to candidate filing and referendum issues.
Before joining Tressler, Kathie was a City Attorney for the City of Rockford for 27 years.
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
Kathie is the co-author of the Municipal Litigation chapter of the “Illinois Municipal Law Series,” co-author of the “Park Districts” chapter of “Special Districts” and co-author of the “Variations, Special Uses and Appeals from Administrative Decisions” chapter of “Illinois Land Use Law,” all published by the Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education.
She is a frequent speaker at the Illinois Municipal League’s conferences and local government attorney organizations’ seminars. Her presentations have included:
- “Living Without Your Police Department,” the Illinois Municipal League’s 98th Annual Conference, Chicago, September 2011.
- “Foreclosures, Abandoned Homes and Code Enforcement Issues,” 2010 Illinois Municipal League Annual Conference, Chicago, September 2010.
- “Practical Issues in Administering FOIA,” 2010 Illinois Municipal League Annual Conference, Chicago, September 2010.
- “Practical Issues with FOIA Implementation,” Illinois Municipal League’s Municipal Attorneys Seminar, Bloomington, Illinois, March 2010.
- “Changes to the Freedom of Information Act and Open Meetings Act Effective January 1, 2010 & Other Recent Legislation,” 2010 Illinois Association of Park Districts Annual Conference, Chicago January 2010.
- “Federal and State Case Law Updates,” Illinois Municipal League Annual Conference, Chicago, September 2008.