O'Driscoll, John M. Partner
Bolingbrook, IL550 E. Boughton Rd.Suite 250Bolingbrook, IL 60440
- T: 630.343.5209
- F: 630.783.1271
- V Card
Education J.D., Indiana University Maurer School of LawB.A., University of Illinois at Urbana-ChampaignSt. George's College, Weybridge, England
- Bar AdmissionsIllinois , 1996
- Court AdmissionsU.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit, U.S. District Court (C.D. of IL), U.S. District Court (N.D. of IL), U.S. District Court (S.D. of IL), United States Supreme Court
O'Driscoll, John M. Partner
Practice FocusJohn M. O’Driscoll is based out of the firm’s Bolingbrook office. His practice includes representing companies and individuals in business disagreements and providing general counsel services to local governmental bodies such as municipalities, school districts and park districts. John handles a wide variety of disputes such as business litigation, breaches of contract, construction issues, employment disputes, property damage, tort liability defense, labor negotiations, internet defamation, ordinance violations, “sunshine laws” compliance, professional negligence matters and complex litigation.
Professional BackgroundPrior to joining Tressler in 1999, John was an attorney with Craig and Craig. John has been selected for inclusion in Illinois Super Lawyers® every year since 2012 and in Illinois Super Lawyers Rising Stars® from 2008 to 2011. He has also been recognized as a "Leading Lawyer" by the Leading Lawyers® Network. In 2010, John received the Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel’s President’s Award for his exceptional service, dedication and significant contributions to the IDC and its President. In 2011, he was named a recipient of the IDC Meritorious Service Award for his outstanding service as co-chair of the IDC Commercial Litigation Committee.
Memberships & Affiliations
- American Bar Association, Member
- DRI, Member, Commercial Litigation Committee and Professional Liability Committee
- Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel, Member; Local Government Law Committee, 2013-2017 Chair; (former Chair of Spring Seminar and Business Law Committees)
- Illinois Municipal League, Member, Home Rule Attorneys Committee
- Illinois State Bar Association, Member, Local Government Law Section Council
- Labor and Employment Relations Association, Member
- Puerto Rican Bar Association of Illinois, Member
- Chicago Bar Association, Judicial Evaluation Committee, Former Member
- Oswego Community Unit School District 308’s Board of Education, Former Member
- Federal Judge Temporarily Blocks New Department of Labor Overtime Rules
- Reminder: Changes to Student Residency Law Take Effect January 1, 2017
- New Law Tightens Travel Reimbursement Guidelines for Local Government Entities
- Constitutionality of Hospital Property Tax Exemption Comes Before Illinois Supreme Court
Election Season Campaign Sign Reminder. Local Government Lowdown. October 23, 2018.
Deadlines for School Board Candidates. Local Government Lowdown. September 7, 2018.
Snow Way Around It: Court Finds Deliberate Encounter Exception Does Not Apply To Slip And Fall Case Involving Pile Of Snow. Local Government Lowdown. September 4, 2018.
IDC Contributor. "Residency Requirement for Firefighter Upheld." Local Law Committee Newsletter, Volume 19 Number 5, Pg. 14. June 2018.
IDC Contributor. Village Avoids Retaliation Claim After Employee Takes FMLA Leave. Local Law Committee Newsletter, Volume 19 Number 5, Pg. 14. June 2018.
Appellate Court Finds ComEd Annexation Agreement Invalid. Local Government Lowdown. May 24, 2018.
Village Avoids Retaliation Claim After Employee Takes FMLA Leave. Local Government Lowdown. May 1, 2018.
Residency Requirement for Firefighter Upheld. Local Government Lowdown. March 26, 2018.
Some Pension Relief for Governments Under Firefighter Benefits. Local Government Lowdown. March 2, 2017.
How the Supreme Court’s Ruling in “Carle Foundation” Affects Local Tax Bases. Local Government Lowdown. April 17, 2017.
Election Season Campaign Sign Reminder. Local Government Lowdown. March 21, 2017.
Statute Prohibiting Child Sex Offenders in Parks Held Unconstitutional. Local Government Lowdown. February 14, 2017.
Non-Profit Hospital Property Tax Headed Towards Resolution Before Illinois Supreme Court. Local Government Lowdown. January 11, 2017.
Court Finds OMA Violation by Board for Failure to Provide Sufficient Public Recital of Key Facts of Agenda Items Before Vote. Local Government Lowdown. December 20, 2016.
New Law Tightens Travel Reimbursement Guidelines for Local Government Entities. Local Government Lowdown. July 29, 2016.
Constitutionality of Hospital Property Tax Exemption Comes Before Illinois Supreme Court. Local Government Lowdown. February 16, 2016.
- "Collections, Bankruptcy, Identity Protection, and Consumer vs. Business", 2018 IAPD/IPRA Soaring to New Heights Conference, Lake Erie, January 19, 2018
- “Police Liability Claims From Start to Finish,” National Business Institute Seminar, Naperville, March 9, 2018
- “Ethics Laws: What Local Government Board Members and Employees Must Know,” Tressler’s Governing With Confidence, Chicago, May 28, 2015
- “Ethics for Illinois Park Commissioners,” IAPD/IPRA Soaring to New Heights Conference, Chicago, January 22, 2015
- “Governmental Entity Rights & Responsibilities,” Concealed Carry in Illinois Seminar, Chicago, October 30, 2014
- “Ethics and Gift Ban Best Practices,” 101st Annual Conference of the Illinois Municipal League, Chicago, September 18, 2014
- “Ethics Laws: A Primer for Municipal Officials,” 100th Annual Conference of the Illinois Municipal League, Chicago, October 18, 2013
- “Ethics Law,” Tressler’s Governing with Confidence, Rosemont, Ill., May 17, 2013
- “Tort Liability in Public Works,” Chicago Metro Chapter of the American Public Works Association’s Annual Education Update, April 25, 2013
- Bar Admissions