Devereux, Matthew J. Partner
Chicago233 S. Wacker Drive61st FloorChicago, IL 60606
- T: 312.627.4031
- F: 312.627.1717
- V Card
- Practice Areas
Education J.D., DePaul University College of LawChina University of Political Science and Law, Beijing, Certificate in Chinese LawRegent's College, London , Study AbroadB.A., University of Notre Dame
- Bar AdmissionsIllinois , 1996
- Court AdmissionsTrial Bar for the Northern District of Illinois, U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit, U.S. District Court (C.D. of IL), U.S. District Court (N.D. of IL), U.S. District Court (N.D. of IN), U.S. District Court (S.D. of IL), U.S. District Court of Colorado
Devereux, Matthew J. Partner
Practice FocusMatthew Devereux represents individuals, corporations and municipalities in insurance coverage, tort and commercial litigation. He is experienced in representing insurance companies and their insureds in insurance coverage disputes, including preparation of coverage opinions, and litigation of claims through trial and appeal.
Matt also defends individuals, municipalities and corporations in personal injury, property damage, and civil rights claims and suits through trial and appeal. He regularly represents clients in complex settlement and mediation fora.
Professional BackgroundMatt joined Tressler as an associate in 2001 and was promoted to partner in 2011. Previously he was an associate at Peterson & Ross, concentrating in both defense casualty and coverage litigation, and before that, was an associate at Coleman, O’Halloran & Wynn, concentrating in defense casualty litigation matters.
Faulty Window Installation Settlement Not Covered Under Subcontractor’s CGL Policy. Commercial General Liability Dispatch. March 28, 2017.
Tressler LLP Launches CGL Dispatch. Commercial General Liability Dispatch. January 13, 2017.
- Represented insurance companies and their insureds in complex coverage matters stemming from major property damage, mass tort and class action claims. Including claims involving auto dealer financing, Cook County Building Fire, CO poisoning, World Trade Center and related 9/11 claims, and school shootings in Columbine, CO and Paducah, KY.
- Represented major insurance companies in claims involving product defects and recalls. Including product defect/recalls involving refrigerators tankless water heaters, doggie biscuits, and energy supplements.
- Successfully litigated coverage actions involving construction defect claims on behalf of major insurance companies. Including claims for faulty installation of windows, faulty work in rehabbing existing buildings, and related property damage claims.
- Successfully litigated claims for contractual indemnity and additional insured coverage by and against insurance companies and their insureds. Including claims based on service contracts, property management agreements, bases, and elevator repair/maintenance agreements.
- Successfully litigated coverage actions on behalf of insurance companies and their insureds stemming from auto, trucking and construction accidents, to premises and product liability claims. Including CGL, Excess, Surplus Lines, Umbrella, Wrap-Up, Auto Specialty and other policies.
- Successfully litigated UM/UIM claims, including coverage actions and associated bad faith claims.
- Represented insureds and their carriers in successfully tendering claims for defense and indemnity to contracting parties and their insurance carriers. Including successfully recovering defense fees, interest, and extra-contractual sums on behalf of the insureds and their carriers.
- Represented insurance companies in defense of bad faith and extra-contractual claims. Including CGL, auto and excess/umbrella policies.
- Successfully defended property owners, managers, and elevator service companies in wrongful death and personal injury suits involving elevator-related accidents. Extensive experience in working with field experts, including accident investigation specialists, accident reconstructionists, inspectors, state and local authorities, mechanical engineers and litigation consultants.
- Successfully defended trucking companies in personal injury and property damage claims.
- Successfully defended municipalities, businesses and individuals in property damage, product defect, automobile, premises and civil rights liability claims.
- Bar Admissions