Daly, Nicholas J. Associate
Chicago233 S. Wacker Drive22nd FloorChicago, IL 60606
- T: 312.627.4161
- F: 312.627.1717
- V Card
- Practice Areas
Education B.A., Western Michigan University , Criminal JusticeJ.D., Michigan State University College of Law
- Court AdmissionsU.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit, U.S. District Court (E.D. of MI), U.S. District Court (N.D. of IL), U.S. District Court (W.D. of MI), United States Supreme Court
Daly, Nicholas J. Associate
Nicholas J. Daly is an associate in Tressler’s Insurance and Local Government Law practice groups. He primarily focuses his practice in the areas of insurance coverage analysis, coverage litigation, reinsurance, and the representation of local government entities such as villages, cities, park districts and school districts on wide range of litigation-related matters, including code enforcement and prosecution.
Nick regularly appears on behalf of insurers, reinsurers and local government entities in both state and federal courts throughout the United States, including appellate proceedings. He is well versed in performing legal research and drafting coverage opinions, reservation of rights letters, complaints, pre-trial motions, memoranda, discovery requests and responses to discovery. He has also appeared in alternative dispute resolution proceedings, including mediations and binding arbitrations before the American Arbitration Association.
Nick’s diverse litigation background and substantive legal knowledge enables him to effectively and efficiently advocate for his clients by quickly identifying issues and developing a strategy. He provides his client with practical legal advice that is aimed at the best possible result for every situation.
Prior to joining Tressler, Nick was in private practice with a mid-sized law firm in Kalamazoo, Michigan. During his time in Michigan, Nick focused his practice on commercial litigation and local government matters. He filed briefs and argued before the Michigan Court of Appeals, Michigan Supreme Court, as well as the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Outside of the courtroom, Nick has been active in state and local bar associations. He was appointed by the State Bar Board of Commissioners to a Character and Fitness Committee covering southwest Michigan, where he was entrusted to conduct hearings with applicants and draft reports and recommendations for submission to the State Bar of Michigan. He has also been selected to present on numerous legal topics, including the funding of road improvements through the use of special assessments, bankruptcy appellate proceedings and the rights of landlords and tenants in bankruptcy proceedings.
FOIA Does Not Require a Public Body to Answer Questions or Create Records. Local Government Lowdown. April 6, 2018.
Illinois Appellate Court Rules That Respect For The Judicial Process Requires That A Lawful Court Order Take Precedence Over The Disclosure Requirements Of FOIA. Local Government Lowdown. November 6, 2017.
District Court Dismisses Due Process Class Action Against City Of Chicago Relating To Impoundment Ordinance. Local Government Lowdown. August 15, 2017.
Illinois Supreme Court Emphasizes The Importance Of Proper Notice And Procedure In Administrative Proceedings, But Leaves The Issue Of Attorney Representation Unresolved. Local Government Lowdown. March 27, 2017.
Insurer’s Conduct During Appeal of Underlying Judgment Does Not Affect “Bad Faith” Limitations Period. Bad Faith Bulletin. January 4, 2017.
- Richardson v. Schafer (In Re Schafer), 455 B.R. 590 (6th Cir. BAP 2011)
- Buitendorp v. Swiss Valley, Inc., 485 Mich 879; 722 NW2d 50 (2009)
- Successfully defended private property owner in a state court lawsuit filed by neighbor claiming prescriptive easement (obtained dismissal on motion for summary disposition).
- Successfully defended small business in a state court lawsuit regarding the purchase of goods governed by the Uniform Commercial Code.
- Obtained judgment in favor of trust beneficiary declaring that grantor could not remove assets from trust without providing assets
- Successfully defended insurer against insured’s allegations of improper claims handling.
- Representation of municipality in annexation dispute.
- Representation of municipalities in code enforcement and demolition proceedings.
- Court Admissions