Cohen, Royce F. Partner
New YorkOne Penn PlazaSuite 4701New York, NY 10119
- T: 646.833.0875
- F: 646.833.0877
- V Card
- Practice Areas
Education J.D., Fordham University School of Law , Fordham Moot Court, Member and Editor , The Archibald R. Murray Public Service Award Recipient , 2001B.S., University of Wisconsin-Madison , 1996
- Bar AdmissionsNew York , 2002
- Court AdmissionsU.S. District Court (E.D. of NY), U.S. District Court (S.D. of NY)
Cohen, Royce F. Partner
Royce F. Cohen maintains a multifaceted litigation practice that encompasses reinsurance, insurance coverage and insurance defense. She represents clients in complex litigation before federal and state courts and arbitration panels. She represents insurance companies involved in a wide range of coverage disputes including professional liability and general liability. Most recently she has been centrally involved in coverage disputes over subprime lending for major financial institutions, health care institutions and actuarial firms.
For the matters involving reinsurance, she has substantial experience representing cedents and reinsurers in disputes over a variety of claims such as workers’ compensation, asbestos, and environmental. Her work in the reinsurance area routinely involves disputes over the placement of reinsurance, the duty of utmost good faith, standards of accountability of cedents as fronting companies, and TPA/program managers. Her Tressler practice was recently awarded Best Reinsurance Law Firm in New York 2017 by Global Law Experts.
Royce also has extensive experience with electronic discovery. She regularly helps clients address the costs and risks associated with managing electronically stored information, particularly in connection to litigation and regulatory compliance. She assists clients with the development of records and information management plans, defensible litigation hold processes and auditing compliance policies and procedures. She helps clients develop and implement best practices to efficiently identify, collect and process electronically stored information. Royce actively monitors state and federal developments of the laws governing electronic discovery. She has managed all stages of electronic discovery both in-house and through the use of third party vendors, including negotiating terms of vendor agreements and implementing cost-control protocols.
Royce has been selected to 2016 New York Metro Super Lawyers, 2017 New York Metro Super Lawyers and 2018 New York Metro Super Lawyers.
Prior to joining Tressler, Royce was Special Counsel in Stroock’s New York office specializing in insurance and reinsurance arbitration and litigation. Royce founded and co-chaired Stroock’s eDiscovery and Information Governance Practice Group. She also managed a team of attorneys who provided pro bono representation to underprivileged women engaged in litigation in family court. In recognition of her work on one such representation, Royce received the 2012 Commitment to Justice Award from Her Justice (formerly inMotion).
Memberships & Affiliations
- New York State Bar Association, Member, Social Media Committee
- The Sedona Conference, Member, Electronic Document Retention and Production - Working Group 1
- AIDA Reinsurance and Insurance Arbitration Society (ARIAS-US), Member, Technology Committee
- Advancement of the Placement of Insurance Women (APIW), Member
- New York State Bar Association, Member, E-Discovery Committee
- Women in eDiscovery (WiE), Member
- Data Security: Tips on Keeping Your Data Secure, Co-author ARIAS-US Quarterly, Third Quarter 2018.
- The State of Predictive Coding, Co-author, Mealey’s Litigation Reports: Discovery, Vol. 11, No. 12, September 2014
- State Responses to Superstorm Sandy and Other Natural Disasters: Implications for Ceding Companies and Their Reinsurers, Co-author, Insurance Coverage Law Report, June 2013
- Represented ceding companies in arbitrations in which reinsurers sought rescission based upon allegedly false or misleading information provided in connection with the placement of reinsurance treaties.
- Obtained an arbitration award in excess of $100 million (including interest and futures) on behalf of an insurance company against a reinsurance company.
- Negotiated and settled a variety of claims on behalf of an insurance company in excess of $20 million without the expense of extensive discovery or trial/arbitration.
- Obtained an arbitration award on behalf of a ceding company against London market reinsurers for billings arising out of extra contractual obligations.
Spearheaded a large electronic discovery project that resulted in an arbitration award in excess of $100 million (including interest and futures).
- "Developing Soft Skills for Technologists", ILTA Roundtable, September 26, 2018
- "Information Security in Arbitrations: Tips and Strategies", ARIAS-US 2018 Spring Conference May 10, 2018
- "Big Data as it Relates to Emerging Risks – New and Evolving", ARIAS-US 2017 Spring Conference, May 3, 2017
- "Takeaways from New Discovery Rules to Employ in Arbitrations: The Company, Arbitrator, and Counsel Perspectives", ARIAS Fall Conference, November 17, 2016
- "Discovery of Insurance Reserves, Reinsurance, and “Other Claims” Files in Coverage and Bad Faith Litigation", Live Webinar hosted by Strafford Publications, November 8, 2016
- “Staying Current in a World of Social Information: Arbitrator Forum,” ARIAS Spring Conference, Palm Beach, Florida, May 12, 2016
- A “how-to” Webinar on Categorical Privilege Logs, Live Webinar Sponsored by the New York State Bar Association’s Commercial and Federal Litigation Section, March 15, 2016
- “A Collision Course: When Defense and Coverage Obligations Could Collide -- Whether, When and How to Split a Claim File”, Arch Insurance Group, Inc., March 1, 2016
- “Effective Methods to Streamline eDiscovery Costs in Arbitration”, New York City Bar Association, September 29, 2015
- “Less time spent on doc review? That’s TARrific. The basics of technology assisted review,” Moderator, Continuing Legal Education Presentation, New York, June 12, 2014
- “How to Win the Uphill Battle Against Big Data with Sound Information Governance,” ACEDS 2014 E-Discovery Conference, April 29, 2014
- “Is Your Knowledge of the New Rules on Par for TAR?,” ACEDS 2014 E-Discovery Conference, April 28, 2014
- “Best Practices for Effectively Managing eDiscovery,” Moderator, Continuing Legal Education Presentation, New York, April 11, 2014
- “You Can’t Discover This, You Can’t Sanction That? What The New FRCP Are Really Getting At,” Moderator, Continuing Legal Education Presentation, New York, February 11, 2014
- “Dispelling Myths: Understanding the Risks of Discovery Outsourcing,” Moderator, LegalTech New York, February 5, 2014
- “Cooperation in Practice,” 2013 Advanced E-Discovery Institute, Georgetown University School of Law, Washington, D.C., November 21, 2013
- “#itisadmissible!: Using Social Media Evidence in Federal Court,” Moderator, Continuing Legal Education Presentation, New York, December 11, 2013
- “The Tyranny of Email,” Continuing Legal Education Presentation, New York, April 10, 2013
- “e-Valuating e-Discovery Pitfalls: Tips for Making the Rule 26(f) Conference Count,” Continuing Legal Education Presentation, New York, February 15, 2013
- “e-Discovery in Arbitrations: How Do We Keep Arbitrations from Paralleling Litigation?” Moderator, General Session Panel Discussion, ARIAS-US 2011 Fall Conference, November 2011
- Bar Admissions