Baldwin, Shaun McParland Senior Counsel
Chicago233 S. Wacker Drive22nd FloorChicago, IL 60606
- T: 312.627.4014
- F: 312.627.1717
- V Card
- Practice Areas
Education J.D., The John Marshall Law School , with distinctionB.S., Northern Illinois University
- Bar AdmissionsIllinois , 1980
- Court AdmissionsU.S. Court of Appeals 1st Circuit, U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit, U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit, U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit, U.S. District Court (C.D. of IL), U.S. District Court (E.D. of WI), U.S. District Court (S.D. of IN)
Baldwin, Shaun McParland Senior Counsel
Shaun McParland Baldwin is a partner in the Insurance practice. She concentrates her practice in the areas of insurance coverage, bad faith, and other insurance-related services. Shaun has handled insurance related disputes and bad faith litigation throughout the country, and has served as a binding arbitrator on insurance related matters. She also has an appellate practice, and has briefed and argued over 40 appeals in state and federal courts of appeal.
Shaun advises and represents insurers in insurance coverage and bad faith litigation. She also provides other insurance-related services, such as policy drafting, risk assessment, troubleshooting, claims management and claims training. Shaun has litigated declaratory judgment actions in over 20 jurisdictions on a wide range of issues and involving a multitude of policies, including general liability, professional liability, advertisers liability, products liability, owner and contractor controlled insurance programs, environmental impairment, municipal liability, business auto, media, title and excess and surplus lines policies, among others. She is well known for her troubleshooting skills in complex insurance coverage disputes and her pragmatic approach to dispute resolution. She has served as a binding arbitrator in intercarrier disputes and as an expert witness.
Shaun has been selected by her peers to The Best Lawyers in Illinois® in 2018. For the fourteenth consecutive year, Shaun was selected to the Illinois Super Lawyers® list. She has also been selected to the Top 50 Women Illinois Super Lawyers® list eight times, most recently in 2017. Since 2003, Shaun has been selected each year by Leading Lawyers® Network as a “Leading Lawyer” in insurance coverage. In 2009, she was named to their list of the “Top 50 Women Business Lawyers in Illinois.”
In 2012, Shaun was elected a Fellow of the American College of Coverage and Extracontractual Counsel in acknowledgment of achieving “the highest standards of creativity, ethics, efficiency and scholarship” in the profession. Shaun has been elected as a Fellow of the American Bar Foundation. In May 2010, she was honored as a “Corporate Partner Woman of Achievement” by the National Association of Women Business Owners. In 2012, Shaun was elected a Fellow of the American College of Coverage and Extracontractual Counsel in acknowledgment of achieving “the highest standards of creativity, ethics, efficiency and scholarship” in the profession.
Shaun has achieved an AV® Preeminent rating from Martindale-Hubbell, which is a testament to the fact that a lawyer’s peers rank her at the highest level of professional excellence. She is a frequent lecturer on insurance coverage law and has authored numerous articles and blogs on insurance-related topics.
Memberships & Affiliations
- American Bar Foundation, Fellow
- DRI, Member, Vice Chair, 2015 Insurance Roundtable; Past Chair, Excess, Umbrella and Surplus Sub-Committee of Insurance Law Committee; Former Chair - Insurance Law Committee
- Illinois Appellate Lawyers Association, Past Director
- Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel, Past Director; Former Chair - Amicus Committee
- International Association of Defense Counsel, Former Chair - Casualty Insurance Committee
- The Foundation of the International Association of Defense Counsel, Past Director
- Bar Admissions