Schenk, Todd S. Partner
Chicago233 S. Wacker Drive22nd FloorChicago, IL 60606
- T: 312.627.4151
- F: 312.627.1717
- V Card
- Practice Areas
Education J.D., Indiana University Maurer School of Law , magna cum laude , 1995B.A., Indiana University Bloomington , with high distinction , Economics & Sociology , 1992
- Bar AdmissionsIllinois , 1995
- Court AdmissionsTrial Bar for the Northern District of Illinois, U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit, U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit, U.S. District Court (E.D. of WI), U.S. District Court (N.D. of IL), U.S. District Court (S.D. of IL), United States Supreme Court
Schenk, Todd S. Partner
Practice FocusTodd Schenk is highly experienced in providing insurance coverage counseling and litigation representation to insurance companies. He is particularly skilled in handling third party claims involving advertising injury and product liability, and first party claims under residential and commercial property policies. Many of his cases require the defense of common law and statutory bad faith claims, which Todd litigates in venues around the country. He has also handled appeals in both state and federal courts around the country.
Todd joined Tressler as an associate in 1995 and was promoted to partner in January 2001. Currently active in firm management, Todd serves on Tressler’s three-person Executive Committee, which is the governing body of the firm. Todd has achieved an AV® Preeminent rating from Martindale-Hubbell, which is a testament to the fact that a lawyer’s peers rank him at the highest level of professional excellence. He has been selected for inclusion in Illinois Super Lawyers® for the past 13 years and most recently was selected by his peers in the 25th Edition of The Best Lawyers in America® (2019) for Insurance Law.
Memberships & Affiliations
- DRI, Member, Insurance Coverage Section
- Federal Trial Bar, Member
Victory for Florida Policyholders Destined to Be Short-Lived. The Property Line. December 2, 2016.
Down the Slippery Slope of Bad Faith Discovery. Bad Faith Bulletin. June 27, 2016.
Down the Slippery Slope of Bad Faith Discovery. The Property Line. May 19, 2016.
Methods of Calculating Actual Cash Value of a Claim. The Property Line. February 10, 2016.
Use It or Lose It! So Says The Iowa Supreme Court: Claim Preclusion Barred “Bad Faith” That Insured Failed to Assert in Breach of Contract Action. Bad Faith Bulletin. February 2, 2016.
- National Sur. Corp. v. Westlake Inv., LLC, 2016 WL 3201729 (Iowa June 10, 2016), affirming National Sur. Corp. v. Westlake Inv., LLC, 872 N.W.2d 409 (Iowa App. Ct. 2015)
- National Surety Corp. v. Dustex Corp., 2015 WL 1057506 (N.D. Iowa Mar. 10, 2015), 2015 WL 2400804 (N.D. Iowa May 19, 2015), appeal pending
- Gronik v. Chubb Indem. Ins. Co., 2015 WL 7430026 (Nov. 20, 2015), 2015 WL 4647938 (E.D. Wis. Aug. 6, 2015), 2015 WL 905151 (Mar. 3, 2015), 2014 WL 2739333 (E.D. Wis. June 17, 2014), 2013 WL 5376025 (Sept. 24, 2013)
- Gartner Studios, Inc. v. Northern Capital Ins. Group, 2014 WL 28794 (D. Minn. Jan. 2, 2014)
- Strauss v. Chubb Indem. Ins. Co., 771 F.3d 1026 (7th Cir. 2014), rehearing denied (2015), affirming 2013 WL 27344 (E.D. Wis. Jan. 2, 2013)
- Sterling Fire Restoration, Ltd. v. Wachovia Bank N.A., et al., 2012 WL 5471122 (N.D. Ill. Nov. 9, 2012)
- Burmaster v. Plaquemines Parish Government, 81 So.3d 805 (La. Ct. App. 2011).
- Johnson Outdoors, Inc. v. General Star Ins. Co., et al., 2011 WL 196825 (E.D. Wis. Jan. 19, 2011); 2009 WL 4043104 (E.D. Wis., Sept. 16, 2009); 2008 WL 7140827 (E.D. Wis. Apr. 10, 2008).
- Mylan Laboratories, Inc. v. American Motorists Ins. Co., et al., 700 S.E.2d 518 (W.V. 2010)
- BASF AG v. Great American Assurance Co., et al., 522 F.3d 813 (7th Cir. Apr. 14, 2008), rehearing en banc denied (July 15, 2008), reversing BASF AG v. Great American Assurance Co., et al., 2006 WL 1235943 (N.D. Ill. May 8, 2006)
- Rockwell Automation, Inc. v. National Union Fire Ins. Co. of Pittsburgh, PA, et al., 494 F. Supp. 2d 1009 (E.D. Wis. 2007), affirmed 544 F.3d 752 (7th Cir. 2008)
- Erie Insurance Exchange v. Watts, 2006 WL 1547109 (S.D. Ind. May 30, 2006)
- Comdisco Ventures, Inc. v. Federal Ins. Co., et al., 2005 WL 1377856 (N.D. Ill. June 8, 2005); 2004 WL 1375353 (N.D. Ill. June 18, 2004)
- Burger King Corp. v. Lumbermens Mutual Cas. Co., 410 F. Supp.2d 1249 (S.D. Fla. 2005)
- McDonald’s Corp. v. American Motorists Ins. Co., 748 N.E.2d 771 (Ill. App. Ct. 2001)
- Illinois Mine Subsidence Ins. Fund v. Union Pacific Railroad Co., 2018 WL 1762207 (C.D. Ill. April 11, 2018)
- Federal Ins. Co. v. Indeck Power Equipment Co., 2017 WL 943954 (W.D. Ok. March 9, 2017); 2016 WL 5173402 (Sept. 21, 2016); 2016 WL 3676803 (July 7, 2016)
- Landmark American Ins. Co. v. Deerfield Construction, Inc., 2018 WL 157858 (N.D. Ill. Jan. 12, 2017)
- Bar Admissions