Paine, Andrew S. Partner
Chicago233 S. Wacker Drive22nd FloorChicago, IL 60606
- T: 312.627.4154
- F: 312.627.1717
- V Card
- Practice Areas
Education J.D., The John Marshall Law SchoolB.A., Beloit College , cum laude
- Bar AdmissionsIllinois , 2007
- Court AdmissionsU.S. District Court (C.D. of IL), U.S. District Court (N.D. of IL)
Paine, Andrew S. Partner
Andrew Paine is Co-Chair of Tressler’s Government Law practice group. He concentrates his practice in the representation of Illinois park districts and other governmental entities in transactional and litigation related matters. Andrew has extensive experience in a broad array of local government matters, including real estate and land use, capital development and construction, annexation, boundary disputes and zoning, as well as drafting and negotiating leases, licenses, easements and intergovernmental agreements. He also has extensive experience representing non-profit organizations in a wide variety of matters including formation, structure, operations, tax-exempt status, and regulatory compliance.
Andrew has successfully prepared and presented numerous applications for special use approval, variations and other zoning/land use approvals to zoning boards of appeal, plan commissions and village boards. Andrew also has extensive experience drafting and negotiating other forms of contracts, including those for procurement of services and products. In addition, he regularly counsels clients on the Open Meetings Act (OMA) and Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), records retention, appropriations, tax levies, election issues, tax obligations, ethics, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), and employment issues.
Andrew has also litigated a variety of matters on behalf of Tressler’s government and private sector clients in both state and federal court, including construction claims, state agency enforcement proceedings, land use and zoning challenges, property damage claims, debtor/ creditor disputes, commercial and residential foreclosures, contract disputes and post-judgment collections.
Andrew has been selected as an Emerging Lawyer by Illinois Leading Lawyers, an honor given to the top 2 percent of lawyers in Illinois who are under the age of 40 or have practiced less than 10 years. While in law school, he was a legal intern with the Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office, Felony Trial Division. He was also a staff editor of the John Marshall Law School Journal of Computer and Informational Law.
Memberships & Affiliations
- Illinois Institute for Local Government Law, Member
- Chicago Bar Association, Member
IDOL Announces Long-Awaited Update to Prevailing Wage Rates. Local Government Lowdown. June 6, 2017.
Process and Timing for Seating Newly Elected Park District Commissioners. Local Government Lowdown. April 19, 2017.
New Lead Testing Law Now in Effect Impacts All Public Water Systems. Local Government Lowdown. January 25, 2017.
Non-Profit Hospital Property Tax Headed Towards Resolution Before Illinois Supreme Court. Local Government Lowdown. January 11, 2017.
Federal Judge Temporarily Blocks New Department of Labor Overtime Rules. Local Government Lowdown. November 23, 2016.
No Surprise: Illinois Attorney General Rules Private Emails May Be Considered Public Documents. Local Government Lowdown. September 7, 2016.
Constitutionality of Hospital Property Tax Exemption Comes Before Illinois Supreme Court. Local Government Lowdown. February 16, 2016.
Presentations & Events
PresentationsAndrew is a frequent speaker and has made more than 20 presentations to Illinois park district audiences and regularly presents at the IAPD Legal Symposium, IAPD/IPRA State Conference and various IAPD and IPRA regional workshops.
- “Public Meeting Best Practices: From Crowd Control to Errant Commissioners,” IAPD/IPRA Soaring to New Heights Conference, January 20, 2017
- “Legal/Legislative Part II,” IAPD/IPRA Soaring to New Heights Conference, January 20, 2017
- “Not Always a Picnic: First Amendment Implications of Controlling the Public’s Right to Parade, Protest and Utilize Your Parks,” IAPD Legal Symposium, November 3, 2016
- “Local Government and the Law,” National Business Institute’s Legal Issues Involving Local Governments Seminar, April 1, 2016
- “Environmental Risks in Real Estate Transactions,” IAPD/IPRA Soaring to New Heights Conference, January 30, 2016
- “Your Financial Cycle – From B&A to Levy to Tax Objections,” IAPD/IPRA Soaring to New Heights Conference, January 29, 2016
- “Budgets and Local Government Legalities,” National Business Institute’s Local Government Law: What Attorneys Need to Know Seminar, February 13, 2015
- “Aiding in the Conduct of the People’s Business: Your Board Meeting and the Open Meetings Act,” IAPD/IPRA Soaring to New Heights Conference, January 24, 2015
- “Police Relationships with other Governmental Units,” ILGL Illinois Municipal Prosecutors Seminar, November 11, 2014
- “Surviving Election Season – What You and Your Local Election Official Need to Know,” Illinois Association of Park Districts Legal Symposium, November 6, 2014
- “Shared Services Between School Districts, Park Districts, County and City Government,” National Business Institute’s Attorneys’ Guide to Local Government Law seminar, April 29, 2014
- “Know When to Hold’em, Know When to Fold’em: Intergovernmental Conflict and Cooperation,” Illinois Association of Park Districts/Illinois Park and Recreation Association Soaring to New Heights Conference, January 2014
- “The Tax Man Cometh: Are You Ready for the IRS Audit of Your Fringe Benefit Practices?,” Illinois Association of Park Districts/Illinois Park and Recreation Association Soaring to New Heights Conference, January 2014
- “Board Actions and Their Consequences,” Illinois Association of Park Districts/Illinois Park and Recreation Association Soaring to New Heights Conference, January 2014
- “Funding and Investment Strategies and Legalities,” Illinois Park and Recreation Association’s 2013-2014 Leadership Academy Series, November 19, 2013
- “Proper Procedures for Closed-Session Board Meetings,” Tressler’s Governing With
- Confidence workshop, May 17, 2013
- “Recent Developments in Public Investing,” PMA Financial/Tressler Park District Finance Seminar, February 28, 2013
- “Staying Ahead of the Law: Legal Topics Affecting Illinois Agencies,” Illinois Association of Park Districts/Illinois Park and Recreation Association Soaring to New Heights Conference, January 2013
- “Closed Session Best Practices: Beyond the Basics,” Illinois Association of Park Districts/Illinois Park and Recreation Association Soaring to New Heights Conference, January 2013
- “FOIA and Electronic Communications,” Illinois Park and Recreation Association Administration and Finance Section meeting, September 2012
- “The Lessons from 2010 – Key 2010 Court Decisions and Legislative Enactments Impacting Our Districts and What to Do About Them,” 2011 Illinois Association of Park Districts/Illinois Park and Recreation Association Soaring to New Heights Conference, January 2011
Community InvolvementAndrew serves as a director of the Paine Family Foundation, a charitable organization dedicated to providing support to small, locally based organizations in the areas of education, women’s and children’s issues, health care and research.
- Bar Admissions